Wednesday, May 20, 2009

September 20th, 1805

September 20th, 1805

   Oh my word! I am so ill I can barley move. It must of been that Camas root we ate yesterday, it was so delicious and I was so hungry I couldn't stop eating it! the pain in my stomach is so bad I had to contemplate getting a glass of water for nearly 2o minutes. I decided not to the pain was to bad. thank god the captain let us stay in today I would not have been able to budge and I don't think my comrades would be able to either. Today was also a very hard day not because I was in so much pain but because I had nothing to  do, I was used to having something to do every minute of every day, I began to let my mind wander to all of the possible things that could go wrong with the mission. To take my mind off of my anxiety I decided t educate my self about Camas root. this is what I came up with:
The bulbs must have flowered before they are harvested
To harvest, a piece of turf must be lifted out systematically and then replaced after only the larger bulbs were removed
The bulbs were dug with a sharp pointed stick
Harvesting took anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months for all of the bulbs to be harvested
After harvesting some of the bulbs were broken into pieces and replanted
Harvesting only happened every few years

2 comments:

John SB said...

Sammie, is that you???!!! Where has that writing and observing and educating talent been hiding???!!! Incredible work. Detail, emotion, observation, research, thoughtfully chosen pictures (captions even), your journal for Week 5 has them all and in great quantities. Not just one or two entries, but 4 extensive ones. Thank you for breathing the life into the trail that only you can do. I am so happy and proud to see you come to life. Finish strong with the same dedication on your accounts of our push to the ocean.

$A- (just needs a Discovery presentation of some kind to bring it to an A)

John SB said...

Sammie, you finished so strong. At least up until the final. No final killed your final pay grade average. Missing a final is not an advisable thing to do. If anything it is a time to seize the opportunity (especially on a take home one like this) to put an exclamation point on the work you did all along a trail. Time to give example-supported opinions that show everyone you understand the bigger picture of things covered and discovered. I was so disappointed to open your blog and find no final. The resulting final pay grade is: $C-. You could have had a much better final pay and I could have heard what you had to say about some important questions in America's past.

In the future, take your teacher up on the opportunity to let your mind shine in a final.

Have a great summer.

Love,

(Captain) John